Festive season has kept everyone busy these days. The period close to year end is full of occasions, and believe me Chennai is the best place to be.
Chennai traditions, unity in diversity, a perfect blend of people from different races makes it a uniquely place to live, shop and go around.
Shopping comes first to my mind, when it comes to Chennai. The traditional silk wear demonstrates the essence of the southern richness regardless of who wears it. It is not limited to the ethnic, but brand- holics, designer lovers, contemporary admirers, the young, the old, the trendy and the traditional, the finest and best shopping malls in Chennai has surprises for all.
The list of best shopping malls in Chennai is long and exhausting. Here are the few top-picks which starts with:
The Phoenix Market City:
Located in Velachery, Phoenix market city is currently the largest shopping mall in Chennai. It makes the healthiest shopping experience for shoppers as it hosts local brands like Big Bazaar, going up to ethnic like Soch and Lifestyle, and further up to international ranges like Mac, Zara, River Island, H&M, Costa coffee and many more on the lists.
- It hosts over 250 outlets
- Basement Parking and MLCP
- 11 – screen multiplex, Luxe and Jazz cinemas, fun city and food court
- Hosts Chennai’s’ first IMAX cinema.
- Located @ 142, Velachery Bypass Road; Indira Gandhi Nagar, Velachery
- The Mall was opened in 2013. It was developed by Phoenix Mills Limited and Sharyans Resources.
Alert: First Timers…you can easily lose your way home, so make use of the sign boards and floor plans ☺
Express Avenue is yet another biggest and one of the best shopping malls in Chennai. This mall serves an excellent hangout for kids, families, friends, shoppers, tourists, new comers n all. Its entertainment hubs such as PIX5D movies, and games zone for kids are definite worth for a try.
I will bet that there I not a thing which one cannot find in EA. Be it accessories, clothing, beauty, health and fitness, mother care, music, home, entertainment, the Mall has a store for every category.
Mostly fondly referred to as EA is definitely not just for shop-holics, you can do many things there without shopping and yet make a blasting return home. The coffee and Donut stores on the street of malls come handy so you can walk around munching, breaking the tiredness. The mall also has Spa and Relaxation alternatives.
- Built over retail area of 9.00,000 sq.ft
- Over 200+ retail stores with a more number upcoming
- 3 level basement Parking with an ability to accommodate 2000 vehicles.
- 8 movie screen cinemas ‘Escape’; Fun city, Food court, Spa & relaxation
- Located at 49/50L White Road, Royapettah, Chennai
- Developed by Express Infrastructure Private Limited
Although one of the oldest, yet Spencer enjoys it tag as one of the best shopping malls in Chennai. Spence is renowned not only as oldest malls in Chennai, but India as well. It dates back to 1863 during British rule originally. It was reconstructed in 1985. It has been tagged as one of the largest malls in South Asia when it was built.
A walk down the Spencer will display common brands like McD, Van Heusen, Allen Solly, Titan, Levis, Timex, Pantaloons, AMEX, Citibank etc.
- Built over floor area of 1068000 sq.ft
- Mall named after actual founders Charles Durant and JW Spencer
- Host many corporate offices
- Hosts over 700 shops, the mall has 8 floors
- Located at 769, Anna Salai (Mount Road), Chennai, one of the busiest area of the city.
Chennai Citi Centre:
Although all malls are alike, yet they stand distinguished in some or the other way. Like the Chennai Citi Centre, which despite being smaller than other best malls in Chennai, it stands as the most expensive shopping malls in India. Started in 2006, since then this compact mall serves as an excellent hang out spot for week-ends. Such outing can be coupled with a time spent across the shore of Marina/Gandhi beach which is just a few stones away from CT Centre.
Citi Centre tour is much appreciated by the shop-holics who are branded rather than prices. Yes, this mall hosts a number of luxury brands like Planet Fashion, dude, Indigo, Giordano, Mochi and Thamiza
- Built over floor area of 117,600 sq.ft
- Owned and managed by Chennai Citi Centre Holdings (P) ltd.
- Hosts about 80 shops, 10 dining establishments and goes number of corporate offices.
- Five floors, and ample parking to accommodate 500 vehicles at a time
- Located on Radhakrishnan Salai, Mylapore, Chennai.
- A differentiated appearance and neat looking compact mall.
The Forum Vijaya Mall:
Chennai has seen a massive expansion and development in the last few years. Indeed, top rated best shopping malls in Chennai covers’ an excellent newly come in Forum Mall in rapidly developing regions like Porur and Vadapalani are blessed with. What’s’ differentiating about the Forum mall, is ‘ithu namma mall’ (this is our mall) in Chennai local language. Yes! This mall is more local-emphasising as more Chennai originated brands like RMKV, Spar, Lifestyle, Fab India are much popular on its retail outlets.
Another distinguishing aspect of the Forum mall is the way it has organised or rather say categorised its floors. For instance, ground floor serves apparel and retails, where in all western, and ethnic wear for men, women and kids can be surfed through. The geeky-techies and travel-maniacs can browse through the second floor which is dedicated only for electronics and travels; While all the worn outs can head their way to the third floor which will flaunt you with the flavours of true south Indian cuisine. Alongside there are different ranges under one food court and entertain you with fun city, cinemas and Forum Express.
- Built over the floor area of 6,36,000 sq. Feet & has four floors
- 8 screen multiplex, Palazzo cinemas, 7D cinemas and IMAX screen
- Special kids zone hosting fun city, Kiddi rides, VR Games and entertainment zone.
- Massive basement & MLCP parking accommodating about 3000 vehicles
- Owned and Managed by the Prestige group.
- Started in 2013, located on 183, NSK Salai, Vadapalani
Added to the list of best shopping malls in Chennai is Skywalk that claims to address outing, shopping, socialising and entertaining all in a go. Location is one of the advantage for this mall as it falls straight at the junction of Poonamalle high road and Nelson Manikkam road, busiest routes of the city. This also make this mall easily accessible by all transport means. Despite being medium-sized, the most experiences of the visitors of this mall claimed that unlike other malls, it is never trying walking around the skywalk. The architecture within the mall is also appreciated. The mall has planned its space very well and accommodated fine range of shopping brands, cinemas, decent mix of dining alternatives.
- Built over floor area of 3,50,000 sq.feet, and has 6 floors
- Hosts over 50 major stores and more than 25 dining restaurants
- Owned and managed by the Ampa Housing Development Pvt. Limited.
- 20 Room boutique hotel – Auromatrix Hotels
- 8 level parking with capacity to accommodate 1000 cars and bikes in a go.
- Compact and need blend of stores, restaurants, game zones and entertainment (Cinemas).
Abirami Mega Mall:
Yet another all-time favourites of the best shopping malls in Chennai, the airmail Mega mall has been serving the city and its shoppers over 15 years now. Despite being old, this mall has been distinguished due to its versatility. The mall has always brought some new surprises for its visitors. Be it the snow cave or the kid’s world, be it the concept of multiplex cinemas or computerised ticketing, be it introduction of digital theatre sounds (DTS) or the first 7 start theatre, Abirami Mega Mall has always been the first mover.
- Built over a 13 acre plot, over area of a million sq.Feet; has three floors
- Started in 2003 and owned and managed by Abirami Ramanathan.
- Basement parking with large area to accommodate numerous vehicles in a go
- ‘7-star theatre themed on Spanish Opera House with a Limousine pick and drop facility with added attraction’
- Tagged as ‘first and only mall of its kind in India’.
- Snow cave tagged as ‘the best entertainment in India’.
- A mall with many milestones achieved
All the above malls are top-picks based on the nest rated user experiences. But yes, these are not the only best shopping malls in Chennai. The list continues with many others such as the Fountain Plaza, Alsa-Mall, Maya-Jaal, VR Chennai, The grand Venus mall etc, etc etc.